Sunday, February 22, 2015

Week 6 Prompt

For this week's prompt, I would like you to think of an innovative way to promote romance, gentle reads or horror at your local library.

I picked the horror category to find a creative way to promote material in my library. I seen this  done at another branch this year, although they were promoting banned books, I think a similar approach would work for horror. I would place a barrier or wall around my display so you cannot see the contents. I would put police tape and other pictures that make the scene look gruesome yet intriguing. Warning signs not too look and beware graphic scenes beyond. I would put peepholes in the barrier for patrons to peek in. The display could be filled with horror novels, movies and music. If it was possible each peep hole could display a different set of horrific scenes. For instance the top hole has view able materials from all things werewolf, while the side hole displays bloody murders. There is something about telling someone not to look that makes them want to see exactly what is inside. 


2 comments:

  1. I think this is an excellent idea. You provide the peepholes because you know that once you put a sign up that says don't look, someone will. I like the idea of police tape and pictures and making the display look like a crime or something gruesome has occurred.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great way to use natural human curiosity! It reminds me of the time I paid actual cash money to see the mystery thing in a box at a street fair. People are not able to resist that kind of intrigue!!!

    ReplyDelete