Thursday, February 12, 2015

Image result for orphan train book

Kirkus Style Review of "Orphan Train"                                        by Chrisynthia Casper

Title: Orphan TrainAuthor: Christina Baker KlinePublisher: HarperCollins
Pages: 288
Publication Date: 2013

     

     Cleaning out some rich old lady's attic wasn't any foster kids idea of fun, but in order for Molly to stay out of Juvenile Detention that's exactly where she finds herself.      

     From the outside, Vivian Daly seems to have a life of ease with lots of money, a nice house and a full time housekeeper. So when Molly's boyfriend secures her a job doing community service cleaning out Vivian's attic, filled with what appears to be junk, Molly quickly learns there is more to this old woman than she could ever of imagined. Their lives are not as different as one would think and they become unexpected friends. This book weaves together two women's stories, stories of pain and of healing.           

     The Orphan Train sparks emotions of empathy that had me tearing up until the last sentence. 

8 comments:

  1. For some reason the formatting on this blog just will not work out correctly!! I have tried deleting the whole thing and trying again and its still funky. So I apologize for the wording on the post...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The formatting does make the middle part a little hard to read, but it isn't to bad. I have heard of this book before but never looked into. Your review was short, sweet, and to the point. It was also intriguing, and makes me want to check this book out. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindy - Your review was really great. Orphan Train has been super popular lately. My library actually just made a Book Club Kit out of it (copies of the book, discussion questions, etc). I could see from your review how it might lend itself to good discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Lauren and Kaela. I have seen this book quite a bit recently and I enjoyed your synopsis and review. I always thought it was historical fiction but I take it the setting is present day?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Lauren and Kaela. I have seen this book quite a bit recently and I enjoyed your synopsis and review. I always thought it was historical fiction but I take it the setting is present day?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laurie the book is about the life of Vivian, it alternates from her life to present day. Its a great read and I think it would be a great book club discussion!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the review - I have seen the book around but wasn't sure what it was about. It sounds great!

    Mica
    Best Reviews for Westport Fishing Charter Ocean Sportfishing

    ReplyDelete