Friday, April 10, 2015

How can we as librarians, work to ensure that we are able to serve adults who enjoy YA literature or graphic novels? Or should we?

Starting my new book club at my branch this year started off with talk about what kind of book club it should be. One suggestion was that we could read all YA books. I quickly turned my nose up at this idea, because I knew the people I had in mind that would most likely attend would not be interested in reading a YA book. As a rule I don't have adults that come to my branch to read/check out any YA titles or graphic novels. After having to think about this concept, how can we as librarians ensure those who do enjoy these genres are being served, I started thinking about what do I even have to offer patrons in this genre.

I have a fairly small YA section that rotates with other branches about every six weeks and it does have many popular and current reads available. Still no adults look at this section, so I considered where it was located. The branch is very small so I don't have a separate room for YA materials but these books and my games are tucked into a separate little space that allows for teens to have an area to themselves. Makes me wonder though if adults just avoid this section all together! Especially because I have many older patrons who browse my shelves, so why would they enter the dreaded "TEEN" zone to hear all that noise!!!  I may have to consider for a long term solution possibly moving around some of my sections to allow for adult browsers to find YA materials without having to navigate through the teens. For the immediate future I am going to try to make a display featuring some YA reads that I believe could appeal to my adult readers. Honestly if the spine of the book didn't say YA they would never know the difference.

As for graphic novels, the main branch features many graphic novels and manga's that many of my readers both young and old ask for. I do not have the space to have my own section. Now that I am writing this I wonder though if I could find a way to make some space. Its the old saying, "Build it and they will come". I think there has always been an interest at my branch for these materials but there has always been a lack of materials. This could be because of space or because the person preceding me did not quite embrace these materials as actual reading. Either way I now that it has been brought to my mind I think I will try a few things to see if I can generate some circulation on these types of materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment